Skip to Content

Vacation Disaster Preparedness

Disaster pictures

Here are a few tips to help keep you prepared during your vacation, here in Music City USA, or elsewhere:

  • Pack a travel size emergency supply kit to include water, snacks, first aid kit, flashlight, travel size battery operated radio (will automatically switch to the weather radio station closest to your area), extra batteries and an emergency contact card with names and numbers. Don't forget to pack extra supplies that are critical to you and your family such as prescription medications, baby needs etc.
  • Share your itinerary with your family and friends, and make sure they all know how to reach you.
  • Make copies of your travel documents, and keep electronic copies as back ups.
  • Make sure everyone traveling knows each others cell phone numbers, and other emergency contacts. Have a designated person our of the area to serve as the emergency contact in case you are unable to make local calls during an emergency.
  • If traveling internationally, register with the US Dept of State STEP/Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. This site allows you to enter information about your upcoming trips abroad and helps the Dept of State better assist you in an emergency.
  • Check the forecast for where you are traveling to, and make sure to check the routes if you are traveling by car.
  • Be aware of the names of the counties you are traveling to/through since weather warnings are normally issued by county.
  • Familiarize yourself with your hotel's emergency plans or place you are staying.
  • Familiarize yourself with the area's emergency notification systems. Nashville has Outdoor Early Warning Tornado Sirens to warn you (if you are outdoors) that a Tornado Warning is issued for Davidson County. If you hear these sirens, please go indoors and tune in to the local TV stations (2, 4, 5 and 17), radio stations or your emergency weather alert radio for more information.
  • 9-1-1 is the emergency phone number for Police/Fire/EMS in Metropolitan Nashville & Davidson County.
  • You can also call 615-862-8600 for non-emergency Police/Fire/EMS.
  • If a major emergency has occurred, you can visit the NERVE website for information on major road closures, emergency shelters and more. This website is compatible with your mobile devises and is a GPS based program to help you get around the road closures and to the closest shelter and more.