Metro Parks Guidelines on Handling Contests During Lightning Disturbances
The purpose of these guidelines is to provide a default policy to those responsible for making decisions concerning and restarting of activities based on the presence of lightning. This will be the responsibility of the leagues and/or teams that permit use of our facilities.
- Assign staff to monitor local weather conditions before and during events.
- Develop an evacuation plan, including identification of appropriate nearby shelters.
- Develop criteria for suspension and resumption of play:
- When thunder is heard, or a cloud-to-ground lightning bolt is seen, or a thunderstorm is close enough to strike your location with lightning. Suspend play and take shelter immediately.
- Thirty-minute rule. Once play has been suspended, wait at least 30 minutes after the last thunder is heard or flash of lightning is witnessed prior to resuming play.
- Any subsequent thunder or lightning after the beginning of the 30 minute count, reset the clock and another 30 minute count should begin.
- Hold periodic reviews for appropriate personnel.