American Red Cross Aquatics Classes
Throughout the year the Centennial Sportsplex offers a variety of American Red Cross Aquatic Classes.
We are currently offering sign ups for 2019 American Red Cross Lifeguard Courses at the Centennial Sportsplex. Please fill out our Lifeguard Class Inquiry and view the Lifeguard Registration Form to get information on the upcoming Sessions. You must pass a Pre-requisite Swim session before signing up for the classes.
Lifeguard Registration Form
You must be 15 years old and proficient in the front crawl (freestyle), and breaststroke. Lifeguard training is a 25.5-hour course, which includes First Aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer (CPR/PR) and AED. In the course, learn about the duties and responsibilities of a lifeguard and how to carry them out in a professional manner. Also learn lifeguarding skills such as surveillance techniques, how to use rescue equipment, and how to manage a suspected spinal injury victim. These practices require strenuous activity. If you have a medical condition or disability that might prevent you from taking part in the practice sessions or if you have any questions about your ability to participate fully in the Lifeguard Training course, discuss it with your local American Red Cross chapter or unit before starting the course.
Skills You Must Perform
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both. Swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for two minutes using only your legs. Candidates place their hands under their armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of seven to ten feet and retrieve a 10-pound object
- Surface and swim 20 yards on your back with both hands holding the object
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps
- You can buy a pocket mask and first aid gear at redcross.org
Instruction is In a traditional classroom setting including lecture, video, and in-water instruction. Each class builds on the previous class. You must attend all classes to complete the course. You must have the text and equipment by the second class. You can buy the text or download the lifeguarding text for free at redcross.org.
Blended Learning Course
The new blended learning Lifeguarding course from the American Red Cross builds the same knowledge and skills as our traditional classroom training. The online format enables participants to complete interactive lessons and activities on their own time. Instructor–led sessions reinforce learning and emphasize skill building. Students must have access to a computer with internet capability. Student progress reports must be printed out and submitted to the instructor at each on–site session.
Purchase or download for free the Lifeguard participant manual at redcross.org
Purchase Red Cross Pocket Mask
Additional Red Cross Safety Classes
Lifeguard Instructor (LGI)
LGI Registration Form
Being a Red Cross instructor is a fulfilling and rewarding experience. You must be 17 years of age and will need to successfully complete a Fundamentals of Instructor Training Course. If you would like to learn more about becoming an instructor, or if you are ready to get started, contact your local Red Cross chapter to begin the process. Once you complete the Fundamentals of Instructor Training, you can register for our class. To register, complete the Fundamentals of Instructor Training and satisfy the requirements listed below.
- Must possess at least one of the following:
- Current American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED
- Current American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid and either an American Red Crosscertificate for CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer or CPR/AED for Lifeguards
- Equivalent certificate(s) from another approved organization
- Successfully complete the Pre-course session
- Obtain the Lifeguarding Instructor's Manual and Lifeguarding Manual prior to entering the first classroom session of the instructor course www.redcross.org
For questions please contact Michael Campeotto at email@example.com