The Warner Parks: Nashville's Emerald Gem
Warner Park News
Starting March 25, the Belle Meade entrance to Percy Warner Park and the Page Road lot will be closed to the public due to the phase of the Allée Steps Restoration that involves moving rock and heavy equipment in that area. Hikers, runners and cyclists may access trails at the Deep Well Trailhead (6921 Highway 100) and the Chickering Road Trailhead (1651 Chickering Rd). A small section of the Equestrian Trail is also closed; the map at the Equestrian Trailhead indicates this closure. These closures are expected through May 2020.
For more information about the Allée restoration, check out this Tennesseean article
Enjoy Your Oasis in the City
Take a Journey of Discovery with Bob Parrish and Rebecca Dandekar through Thomas Wilson tourism
The Metropolitan Board of Parks and Recreation of Nashville and Davidson County manage Edwin and Percy Warner Parks, collectively known as "The Warner Parks." Together, these parks span over 3,180 acres of forest and fields, 9 miles from downtown Nashville.
Over 1 million people visit the Parks annually, using the picnic areas, scenic roadways and overlooks, hiking trails, mountain bike trails, equestrian center and horse trails, cross country running courses, golf courses, and athletic fields.
Founding of Warner Parks
Three prominent Nashvillians shared in the vision that produced the Warner Parks. The first of these, Colonel Luke Lea, was encouraged in this far-sighted plan by his father-in-law, Percy Warner. A life-long outdoorsman and nature lover, Warner was a prominent Nashville business man and served as chair of the Park Board. In January 1927, Colonel Lea and Mrs. Percie (Warner) Lea generously deeded the initial 868 acres of land to the city. Following Percy Warner's unexpected death later that year, Lea petitioned the Park Board to name the park after his father-in-law. Lea's contribution is recognized by the one of the highest points in Percy Warner Park, Luke Lea Heights, also known as Lea's Summit.
Following his brother's death, Edwin Warner seceded his brother on the Park Board, and eventually he became chair as well. He was a driving force behind the acquisition and development of the Parks. In 1937, the Park Board commemorated his valuable contributions by designating all acquired property west and south of Old Hickory Boulevard as Edwin Warner Park.
Ecology of Warner Parks
The Parks are located in the western edge of the Nashville Basin. Several ecological zones are recognized within the Parks, most notably oak-hickory and beech-maple temperate forests, and cedar glades. Hidden springs, creeks, and wetland areas also bring interesting plant and animal species.
Warner Parks Amenities
Warner Park is a municipal multi-purpose park.
Warner Parks amenities include:
- 2 golf courses - Harpeth Hills Golf Course and Percy Warner Golf Course
- 2 cross country running courses-Vaughn's Gap cross country course and Steeplechase cross country course
- Baseball, soccer, flag football, lacrosse leagues, and softball fields with concessions, restrooms, and evening lights. Field reservations can be made by calling 615-862-8405.
- Model airplane field.
- Bob Brown Field Station
- Reservable picnic areas along the Little Harpeth River off of Vaughn Road in Edwin Warner Park, as well as in Indian Springs and Beech Grove off of Chickering Road and Deep Well Picnic Shelters in Percy Warner Park. Call 615-862-8408 to reserve these shelters April through October.
- The Lodge at Edwin Warner Park by calling the Warner Park Headquarters, 615-370-8051
- Edwin Warner dog park on Vaughn Road
- 1811 Hodge House restored through funding from Friends of Warner Park and Metro Parks
- Internationally-known Steeplechase horse racing course, home to the Iroquios Steeplechase race