Police Officer Pay Scale and Benefits
Rates of Pay Approved by the Commission For Police Officer Trainee, Police Officer I, and Police Officer II positions.
Officer Pay Rates by Classification and Time Period
||Pay Period (92.08 Hours)
||Associates Degree Incentive (3%)
||Bachelors Degree Incentive (6%)
|Police Officer Trainee (24 Weeks in Training Academy)
|Police Officer 1 (6 Months with Field Training Officer)
|Police Officer 2 (1-2 Years)
|Police Officer 2 (2-3 Years)
|Police Officer 2 (3-4 Years)
|Police Officer 2 (4-5 Years)
|Police Officer 2 (5-6 Years)
|Police Officer 2 (6-7 Years)
|Police Officer 2 (7-8 Years)
|Police Officer 2 (8-9 Years)
|Police Officer 2 (9-10+ Years)
*3% - Associates Degree, 6% - Bachelors Degree
After graduation from academy and proof of education
- 34 paid days off per year after one calendar year (20 vacation days, 3 personal days, 11 holidays)
- 1 sick day per month accumulated up to 120 days
- 20 paid military days per year
- Up to 30 work days of Paid Family Leave (after 6 months of employment with Metro)
- State supplemented in-service pay of $600 each year (in addition to regular salary)
- Overtime pay: In fiscal year 2016 our Police Officer 2's averaged $5,057.50 (in addition to regular salary)
- Longevity pay (in addition to regular salary)
- 100% Metro paid pension
- MetroMax 457 Deferred Compensation Plan which allows employees to contribute to a retirement plan tax-deferred and earnings on the retirement money are also tax-deferred.
- Compensated for time spent in court
- Vested for pension after 10 years
- Vested for medical pension after 10 years
- Use of Montgomery GI bills and Post 9/11 GI bills, in first year of training
- Paychecks are automatically deposited on the 7th and 22nd of each month.
- Domestic Partner Benefits
- Health Insurance: Employees have the choice of two medical plans - BlueCross BlueShield PPO or Cigna Choice Fund - and may choose either Individual, Family or Employee + Child(ren) coverage. Both companies provide coverage for mental health/substance abuse.
- Metro pays 75% of the medical premium with employees only paying 25% of the premium
- Life Insurance: Metro provides active employees - at no cost - with $50,000 in basic life insurance and $50,000 in AD&D insurance. Supplemental life and dependent life insurance is available to purchase. Supplemental life can be purchased by new employees up to $200,000 without proof of good health and increased up to $500,000 at future annual enrollments with evidence of insurability (EOI). You may enroll your spouse/domestic partner with $10,000 without proof of good health (EOI) if you enroll when you first become eligible-either at benefit eligibility or within 60 days of your marriage.
- Dental Insurance: Metro provides BlueCross BlueShield single dental coverage at not cost to employees. Family dental plans are available to purchase.
- Optional vision insurance
- Additional coverage available through payroll deductions
Clothing and Equipment Allowance
- $500 every year for uniform maintenance
- Basic equipment and sidearm issued during academy training