Jefferson Street Intersection Improvements
October 2020 Update
Metro Public Works submitted the Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) amendment to the Metro Finance Department for review and approval for placement on the Metro Council agenda. The amendment was placed on-hold due to the city's financial review of all capital spending. Engineering consultants continue to work on roundabout design concepts for 28th Avenue North and Jefferson Street.
Next month: Metro Public Works is anticipating the approval of the Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) amendment by the Metro Council. The amendment will be sent back to the Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) for full execution by the Commissioner. Additionally, Metro Public Works is anticipating a final roundabout design concept for approval.
Under this phase of the project, Metro Public Works, in coordination with the Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) and Metro Planning, will work to design and construct intersection capacity improvements and operation upgrades at 21st Avenue North and 28th Avenue North at Jefferson Street. Elements of the upgrades will include additional right turn lanes, decorative pedestrian and traffic signals, improved crosswalks and striping. Public Works is currently studying the feasibility of a roundabout as an alternate design at 28th which is also in the conceptual stage.
Additional Project Information
Jefferson Street at 21st Avenue North and 28th Avenue North
District 21: Council Member Brandon Taylor
- Upgrades to traffic and pedestrian signals and crosswalks at both intersections
- Possible addition of right-turn lanes at both 21st and 28th.
- Possible alternate roundabout design at 28th.
- Current construction cost estimate: $1.0 million ($800,000 federal funds, $200,000 local funds)
- Currently in conceptual design phase; actual design phase to begin early Spring 2021.
- Anticipated start of right-of-way phase: Late Spring 2021 (for approx. 10-12 months)
- Anticipated final plans: Summer 2022
- Obtain contractor and CEI: Summer 2022
- Anticipated construction start date: Fall 2022 (for approx. 10-12 months)
For more information, please contact the Public Works project manager at 615-862-8730.
Jefferson Street Aerial View, 21st Avenue North
Jefferson Street Aerial View, 28th Avenue North