Jefferson Street Intersection Improvements
April 2020 Update
The Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) has submitted a list of on-call consultants to Metro Public Works- Capital Project Division for review. The Capital Projects Division will be assessing which consultants best fit the services needed for this project. The Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) will continue to work on amendments to project contracts for use on of their consultants on this project.
Next month: Metro Public Works will be submitting the Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) contract amendment to the Metro Council for approval.
Under this phase of the project, Metro Public Works, in coordination with the Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) and Metro Planning, will work to design and construct intersection capacity improvements and operation upgrades at 21st Avenue North and 28th Avenue North at Jefferson Street. Elements of the upgrades will include additional right turn lanes, decorative pedestrian and traffic signals, improved crosswalks and striping. Public Works is currently studying the feasibility of a roundabout as an alternate design at 28th which is also in the conceptual stage.
Additional Project Information
Jefferson Street at 21st Avenue North and 28th Avenue North
District 21: Council Member Brandon Taylor
- Upgrades to traffic and pedestrian signals and crosswalks at both intersections
- Possible addition of right-turn lanes at both 21st and 28th.
- Possible alternate roundabout design at 28th.
- Current construction cost estimate: $1.0 million ($800,000 federal funds, $200,000 local funds)
- Currently in conceptual design phase; actual design phase to begin late Spring 2019.
- Anticipated start of right-of-way phase: Fall 2019 (for approx. 10-12 months)
- Anticipated final plans: Fall 2020
- Obtain contractor and CEI: Spring 2021
- Anticipated construction start date: Summer 2021 (for approx. 10-12 months)
For more information, please contact the Public Works project manager at 615-862-8730.