Jefferson Street Intersection Improvements
August 2020 Update
Metro Public Works is anticipating updated conceptual designs for the proposed roundabout at 28th Avenue North and Jefferson Street. Additionally, receipt of the amended Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) agreement is also anticipated.
Next month: Metro Public Works is anticipating the receipt of both the updated concepts for the 28th Avenue North roundabout and the Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) agreement amendment for processing to Metro Council.
Under this phase of the project, Metro Public Works, in coordination with the Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) and Metro Planning, will work to design and construct intersection capacity improvements and operation upgrades at 21st Avenue North and 28th Avenue North at Jefferson Street. Elements of the upgrades will include additional right turn lanes, decorative pedestrian and traffic signals, improved crosswalks and striping. Public Works is currently studying the feasibility of a roundabout as an alternate design at 28th which is also in the conceptual stage.
Additional Project Information
Jefferson Street at 21st Avenue North and 28th Avenue North
District 21: Council Member Brandon Taylor
- Upgrades to traffic and pedestrian signals and crosswalks at both intersections
- Possible addition of right-turn lanes at both 21st and 28th.
- Possible alternate roundabout design at 28th.
- Current construction cost estimate: $1.0 million ($800,000 federal funds, $200,000 local funds)
- Currently in conceptual design phase; actual design phase to begin early Spring 2021.
- Anticipated start of right-of-way phase: Late Spring 2021 (for approx. 10-12 months)
- Anticipated final plans: Summer 2022
- Obtain contractor and CEI: Summer 2022
- Anticipated construction start date: Fall 2022 (for approx. 10-12 months)
For more information, please contact the Public Works project manager at 615-862-8730.