Unused or Expired Pharmaceuticals Disposal
Metro residents can bring all kinds of unused or expired pharmaceuticals or over-the-counter medications to the following locations:
Disposal at Metro Police Precincts
Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Available 24 hours a day / 7 days a week at Police Headquarters - 3055 Lebanon Pike
Items We Accept
- Over the counter medications
- Pet medications
- Medicated ointment, lotions or drops
- Liquid medications (in leak-proof containers)
- Pills in any packaging (glass bottles, plastic containers, plastic bags, etc.)
Items Not Accepted
- Illegal drugs and narcotics (although police will accept these items if placed in the container)
- Sharps/needles - Metro Public Health recommends following EPA guidelines for disposing of used needles, syringes and other sharps at home
- Blood sugar equipment
- IV bags
- Bloody or infectious waste
- Personal care products (shampoo, lotions, etc)
Safe At-Home Disposal
Do not flush or pour medications down the drain!
- Remove medication from original packaging and mix with an undesirable substance (kitty litter or used coffee grounds)
- Place the mixture in a bag and throw in your trash container
- Remove and destroy any personal information on the empty medicine container and throw it in your trash container or take the empty medicine containers to a creative reuse center, such as Turnip Green Creative Reuse.