Business Trash Collection in the Urban Service District
Trash collection is available to businesses in the Urban Service District (USD) that use brown trash carts provided by Public Works. Businesses inside this district are collected weekly. If your business is in the Downtown Core Area (map), a different collection system applies.
Businesses that require a higher level of service or who are outside the Urban Service District must contract with a private hauler for disposal.
Upcoming Material Ban Timeline
The following items will be banned from waste containers
July 1, 2011 - Yard Waste
July 1, 2013 - Cardboard
July 1, 2015 - Electronic Waste
Businesses will be able to recycle their cardboard and can request additional recycling carts. Electronic waste must be recycled through a private recycler.
Businesses may be issued 1 brown department approved container for refuse disposal. All trash must be bagged and placed in the department approved container. Any excess refuse shall be disposed of at the expense of the owner or person in charge of the premises.
Beginning July 1, 2012 - Businesses that use more than 2 trash carts will be charged the collection and disposal cost for trash in additional carts.
Public Works will provide customers additional recycling carts and monthly collection of recycling at no additional cost.
Businesses should set their containers out at the curb (except on streets where alleys are used).
In alleys, containers should be placed adjacent to, but not obstructing, the traveled portion of the alley.
Metro Public Works employees are not permitted on private property. Therefore, all containers should be as close to the curb / alley as possible.
Trash is not collected on New Year’s Day, Fourth of July, Thanksgiving Day or Christmas Day. Any collection day that falls on one of these holidays will be picked up on Saturday of that week.
How to Use Your Trash Cart
- Look under your cart lid for your pick-up day.
- On your pick-up day, place your cart on the curb or in the alley with the arrow on the lid pointing toward the street or alley. Your trash will be picked up between the hours of 7 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Do not place the cart within 3 feet of any stationary object such as a car, mailbox, utility pole, recycling cart, etc.
- Do not place the cart under wires, tree limbs, building overhangs or other items that could be damaged. Please make sure there is 15 feet of clearance.
- Items that are placed outside the trash cart will not be picked up.
- Please remove your cart from the street by 7 p.m. on pick-up day.
For more information on trash collection call 615-880-1000.