Residential Trash Collection Program
Trash collection service is provided to single-family homes in the Urban Services District of Nashville. Residents must place trash in their brown roll-out cart. For more details on the residential trash collection program, please read through the frequently asked questions below or call 615-862-5000.
Number of Containers Issued Per Service Address
Each service address is issued 1 brown department approved container for refuse disposal at newly constructed homes. Metro no longer issues or replaces more than 2 trash carts for each address. Residents and businesses that currently have more than 2 trash carts will be able to continue their same level of waste collection service, however, will be charged for the collection and disposal fee for waste in additional carts. Additional recycle carts are available at no cost.
Lost, Stolen or Damaged Cart Fees
Per Metro Code 10.20.110c, in the event a container originally furnished by the department is lost, stolen or damaged beyond repair, the owner shall replace, at his/her sole cost. The cost for a replacement cart starting September 1, 2018 is $65.00. In order to reduce possibility of stolen or lost carts, carts must be put away in a secure location after collection.
The following items are banned from waste containers:
- Yard Waste
- Construction Debris
- Electronic Waste
Yard waste (brush, leaves and grass) must be placed at the curb for Brush Collection. Residents will be able to recycle their cardboard and can request additional recycling carts. Electronic waste must be recycled through at the Household Hazardous Waste facility.
Public Works will provide customers additional recycling carts and monthly collection of recycling at no additional cost.
Trash is not collected on New Year’s Day, Fourth of July, Thanksgiving Day or Christmas Day. Any collection day that falls on one of these holidays will be picked up on Saturday of that week.
How to Use Your Trash Cart
- Look under your cart lid for your pick-up day.
- On your pick-up day, place your cart on the curb or in the alley with the arrow on the lid pointing toward the street or alley. Your trash will be picked up between the hours of 7 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Do not place the cart within 3 feet of any stationary object such as a car, mailbox, utility pole, Curby cart, etc.
- Do not place the cart under wires, tree limbs, building overhangs or other items that could be damaged. Please make sure there is 15 feet of clearance.
- Items that are placed outside the trash cart will not be picked up.
- Please remove your cart from the street by 7 p.m. on pick-up day.