ORDINANCE NO. BL2001-769
An ordinance amending the Metropolitan Code to authorize and establish a system, including administrative regulations, for voluntary contributions by employees of the Metropolitan Government through payroll deductions.
Whereas, for several years
employees of the Metropolitan Government have voluntarily participated an annual
giving campaign for consolidated charities through payroll deduction; and,
Whereas, the Metropolitan has provided assistance to the annual consolidated charities campaign by encouraging employees to contribute, distributing donation cards and performing the functions necessary to accomplish donations by payroll deductions and other administrative tasks; and,
Whereas, the Metropolitan Government's participation in the consolidated giving campaign has been informal insofar as it has not been authorized by the Metropolitan Council; and,
Whereas, it has been determined that the Metropolitan Council should authorize the practice of payroll deduction by employees as a means of participating in the consolidated giving campaign; and,
Whereas, the Metropolitan Council should also authorize the expense and employee time required for the Metropolitan Government to administer a program of employee contributions through payroll deductions; and,
Whereas, it is in the public interest and benefit of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County for the employees of the Metropolitan Government to make contributions by payroll deduction and for the Metropolitan Government to perform the various administrative tasks that are required to accomplish such donations.
Now, therefore, be it enacted by the Council of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County:
Section 1: That Title 2 of the Metropolitan Code be amended by adding the following provisions thereto:
Metropolitan Employee's Consolidated Charities Program
1. There is hereby established the Metropolitan Employee's Consolidated Charities Program (hereinafter the "Program") to provide a systematic and comprehensive means of allowing employees of the Metropolitan Government to make voluntary donations to charitable organizations through voluntary payroll deduction.
2. The Program shall be administered under the supervision of the Director of Personnel and the payroll deductions, and payment of the contributions shall be under the supervision of the Director of Finance.
3. The Director of Personnel, with the approval of the Director of Finance, is authorized to adopt and promulgate written regulations regarding the operation of the Program.
4. Only such organizations as satisfy the criteria adopted in Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 7-3-314, as the same may hereafter be amended, shall be eligible to receive donations through the Program.
5. Payroll donations for the Program may only be made by written request and authorization by an employee of the Metropolitan Government in a format approved by the Director of Finance. The written request and authorization must specify each charitable organization to which the employee wishes to contribute by payroll deduction and the sums to be deducted for each charitable deduction. The number of charitable organizations to which an employee may contribute by payroll deduction may be limited by regulation.
6. The Purchasing Agent is authorized, in accordance with Article 4 of the Metropolitan Code, to enter into one or more contracts for administration of the Program. Such contracts may provide that one or more employees of the Metropolitan Government may assist the contractor in the administration of the Program.
Section 2. That this ordinance shall take effect from and after its passage, the welfare of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County requiring it.
Sponsored By: Howard Gentry & Tony Derryberry
|Introduced:||July 17, 2001|
|Passed First Reading:||July 17, 2001|
|Referred to:||Budget & Finance Committee|
|Passed Second Reading:||August 7, 2001|
|Passed Third Reading:||August 21, 2001|
|Approved:||August 23, 2001|