ORDINANCE NO. BL2008-167
An Ordinance amending Chapters 17.04, 17.08 and 17.16 of Title 17 of the Metropolitan Code, Zoning Regulations, to create the use “animal boarding facility” as a use permitted with conditions (PC) in the IWD and IR districts, all of which is more specifically described herein (Proposal No. 2008Z-028T).
BE IT ENACTED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY:
Section 1. That Chapter 17.04 of Title 17 of the Code of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, Zoning Regulations, is hereby amended by amending Section 17.04.060 by adding the following new definition for “Animal boarding facility”:
“Animal boarding facility” means any buildings or land used, designated or arranged for the temporary boarding, care and grooming of domesticated dogs and cats for profit. This use does not include an animal hospital.”
Section 2. That Chapter 17.08 of Title 17 of the Code of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, Zoning Regulations, is hereby amended by amending Section 17.08.030, District Land Use Tables, by adding “Animal boarding facility” as a use permitted with conditions (PC) in the Industrial Warehousing/Distribution (IWD) and the Industrial Restrictive (IR) districts.
Section 3. That Chapter 17.16 of Title 17 of the Code of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, Zoning Regulations, is hereby amended by amending Section 17.16.070 by adding the following new subsection A. and relettering the remaining subsections accordingly:
“A. Animal boarding facility.
1. Setback. No part of any building or structure in which animals are housed shall be closer than two hundred feet, and no kennel run shall be located within one hundred feet, from any existing residence.
2. Building Temperature. Enclosures must be provided which shall allow adequate protection against weather extremes. Floors of buildings, runs and walls shall be of an impervious material to permit proper cleaning and disinfecting.
3. Cages. Each animal boarded at the facility shall have sufficient space to stand up, lie down and turn around without touching the sides or top of cages. Cages are to be of material and construction that permits cleaning and sanitizing. Cage floors of concrete, unless radiantly heated, shall have a resting board or some type of bedding.
4. Runs. Each run must have at least a six-foot high fence completely surrounding it. Fences must be maintained in escape-proof condition. Runs shall provide an adequate exercise area and protection from the weather. All animal quarters and runs are to be kept clean, dry and in a sanitary condition.
5. Watering of Animals. All animals shall have fresh water available at all times. Water vessels shall be mounted or secured in a manner that prevents tipping and shall be of the removable type.
6. On-Site Waste Collection. All on-site waste shall be housed either within the kennel building or an accessory structure, and all waste shall be disposed of in a sanitary fashion no less frequently than one time per week. The drainage of all liquid by-products shall be discharged into a permitted sanitary sewer line or septic tank and shall not be disposed of by way of storm sewers, creeks, streams or rivers.”
Section 4. That this Ordinance shall take effect five (5) days from and after its passage and such change be published in a newspaper of general circulation, the welfare of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County requiring it.
Sponsored by: Ronnie Steine
|Introduced:||March 4, 2008|
|Passed First Reading:||March 4, 2008|
Commission - Approved 6-0
(March 27, 2008)
Planning & Zoning Committee
|Passed Second Reading:||May 6, 2008|
|Passed Third Reading:||May 20, 2008|
|Approved:||May 29, 2008|
|Effective:||June 2, 2008|