ORDINANCE NO. BL2013-354
An ordinance amending Title 17 of the Metropolitan Code, Zoning Regulations, by amending Sections 17.04.060, 17.08.030, 17.16.070, 17.16.160 and 17.20.30 to delete “Historic Home Events” as a use and to add “Special Events Center” as a new use to be permitted in certain zoning districts and permitted with conditions in certain zoning districts (Proposal No. 2013Z-001TX-001).
Whereas the Historic Home Events use was initially created as an economic incentive to owners of large historic properties to allow additional income to help maintain the historic buildings;
Whereas, the use, with few exceptions, did not prove to be a success due to the numerous code-related issues that were a burden to the expanded use of the historic properties;
Whereas, there was no effective mechanism for ensuring that the BZA's operational conditions for the use were followed;
Whereas, the current code includes alternative tools that accomplish the same goal, specifically, the Neighborhood Landmark Overlay and the Specific Plan District; and
Whereas, a facility that could accommodate special events remains appropriate in certain zoning districts.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ENACTED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY:
Section 1. Section 17.04.060, Definitions, is hereby amended by
1. Deleting the definition of “Historic Home Events”
2. Adding the following definition in alphabetical order:
“Special events center” means a structure and/or grounds that host events, such as, but not limited to, weddings, receptions, parties, and corporate events for pay.
Section 2.Section 17.08.030, District Land Use Tables, is hereby amended by
1. Deleting “Historic Home Events” under “Residential”
2. Adding “Special Events Center” under “Commercial” in alphabetical order as a permitted use (P) in the, MUL, MUL-A, MUG, MUG-A, MUI, MUI-A, OL, OG, OR20, OR20-A, OR40, OR40-A, ORI, ORI-A, CL, CS, CA, CF, DTC, SCC, and SCR zoning districts and as a permitted with conditions use (PC) in the MUN, MUN-A, CN, and SCN zoning districts.
Section 3. Section 17.16.070, Uses Permitted with Conditions (PC) – Commercial Uses, is hereby amended by adding the following new subsection S. and renumbering the following sections accordingly:
S. Special Events Center. Each establishment shall be limited to five thousand square feet of gross floor area, maximum.
Section 4. Table 17.20.30: Parking Requirements, is hereby amended by
1. Adding “Special Events Center” under land use in Commercial uses, in alphabetical order
2. Adding under Minimum Parking Standards for Special Events Center
“1 space per 100 square feet”
“UZO district: first 1,000 square feet: exempt; 1 space per 150 square feet for floorspace in excess of 1,000 square feet
Section 5. Be it further enacted, that this ordinance take effect immediately after its passage and such change be published in a newspaper of general circulation, the welfare of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County requiring it.
Sponsored by: Phil Claiborne
|Introduced:||January 8, 2013|
|Passed First Reading:||January 8, 2013|
Planning & Zoning Committee
|Deferred Indefinitely:||February 5, 2013|
|Passed Second Reading:|
|Passed Third Reading:|