ORDINANCE NO. BL2015-1016
An ordinance amending Chapter 16.28 of the Metropolitan Code to require building and demolition permit holders for major projects to post a sign on the property providing information about the development.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY:
Section 1. Chapter 16.28 of the Metropolitan Code is hereby amended by adding the following new Section 16.28.235:
16.28.235 Posting of information sign for major projects required.
A. For purposes of this section, “major project” means a project meeting one of the following criteria:
1. New construction or demolition of a building more than three stories in height;
2. New construction or demolition of a building with an average roof height more than forty (40) feet above grade, excluding rood access structures or parapets;
3. New construction or demolition of a building covering 10,000 square feet or more of lot area, regardless of height; or
4. Any alteration to a building façade or any demolition activity that impacts the exterior of the building and is performed at a level above the third story or more than 40 feet above grade, whichever is less.
B. Upon the issuance of a building or demolition permit for a major project, signs shall be posted at the construction or demolition site(s) in accordance with this section.
C. A project information sign shall be posted at all major project sites containing the following information:
1. A rendering or elevation drawing of the building exterior that does not contain logos or commercially recognizable symbols, provided that a rendering or elevation drawing is not required for demolition projects;
2. A title line stating “Work in Progress” and specifying the intended type(s) of occupancy classification(s);
3. Anticipated project completion date;
4. The name or company name, physical address, and telephone number of the owner of the property;
5. Website and telephone number of the project developer or development company, if applicable; and
6. The company name and telephone number of the general contractor, or for a demolition site, the demolition contractor.
D. The project information signs required by this section shall be constructed of three-quarter (¾) inch plywood or sheet metal. The letters on the required signs shall be black on white background, with lettering of at least one and one-half (1 ½) inches in height. The sign shall be prominently posted onsite in an area reasonably likely to draw the attention of persons passing by. The sign shall be a minimum of three feet in height and five feet in width, and a maximum of four feet in height and six feet in width. The sign panel shall be securely attached to the building, covered walkway, barrier, construction railing, or construction fence, or shall be mounted on posts.
E. The project information sign must be in place at least twenty-four (24) hours prior to commencement of any construction or demolition activity, and shall remain visible at the site until all work is completed.
Section 2. That this Ordinance shall take effect immediately after its passage, the welfare of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County requiring it.
Sponsored by: Frank Harrison
|Introduced:||February 3, 2015|
|Passed First Reading:||February 3, 2015|
|Referred to:||Codes Committee|
|Deferred to March 17, 2015:||February 24, 2015|
|Passed Second Reading:||March 17, 2015|
|Passed Third Reading:||April 7, 2015|
|Approved:||April 8, 2015|
Requests for ADA accommodation should be directed to the Metropolitan Clerk at 615/862-6770.