RESOLUTION NO. RS2005-701
A resolution requesting the Vice Mayor to establish an emergency preparedness task force.
WHEREAS, over the past decade, Nashville has experienced various weather and non-weather related events such as the ice storm of 1994, the tornado of April 1998, and a gas line rupture in January 2005, all of which caused a disruption in utility service and threatened the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens; and
WHEREAS, the need to accurately and adequately communicate information to citizens as to how best to handle these types of emergencies is vital in the interest of public safety; and
WHEREAS, the tragic terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, raised the awareness among governments at the federal, state, and local level about the importance of emergency preparedness; and
WHEREAS, it is fitting and proper that the Vice Mayor appoint a task force to prepare a comprehensive report regarding the preparedness of Nashville to deal with various emergencies.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY:
Section 1. The Metropolitan County Council hereby goes on record as requesting Vice Mayor Howard Gentry to establish a task force to examine the preparedness of Nashville and Davidson County to respond to emergencies and communicate information to the public, and to prepare and present a comprehensive report to the Metropolitan Council not later than ninety (90) days from convening.
Section 2. The
task force should consist of not more than twenty-six (26) members to be selected
and appointed by the Vice Mayor. The task force should include a representative
from the following:
1. Metropolitan Nashville Police Department
2. Nashville Fire Department
3. Metropolitan Emergency Communications
4. Metropolitan Hospital Authority
5. Mayor's Office of Emergency Management
6. Tennessee Emergency Management Agency
7. Tennessee Department of Transportation
8. Metropolitan Department of Public Works
9. Nashville Electric Service
10. Nashville Gas Company
11. Metropolitan Department of Water and Sewerage Services
12. Harpeth Valley Utility District
13. Madison Suburban Utility District
14. Old Hickory Utility District
15. Metropolitan Nashville Airport Authority
16. American Red Cross
17. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
18. Metropolitan Department of Information Technology Services
19. Community Access Television Corporation
20. Four members of the Metropolitan Council: the Chair of the Public Safety Committee, and one member from the Public Works Committee, the Transportation and Aviation Committee, and the Health, Hospitals & Social Services Committee.
Section 3. The Vice Mayor is further requested to appoint the Chair of the Public Safety Committee as chairman of the task force.
Section 4. The task force should meet at such times and places as it may determine and shall give notice of all meetings to the public with the assistance of the Metropolitan Clerk.
Section 5. The Metropolitan Clerk is directed to send a copy of this Resolution by electronic mail or interdepartmental mail to Vice Mayor Howard Gentry.
Section 6. This Resolution shall take effect from and after its adoption, the welfare of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County requiring it.
Sponsored by: Charlie
Tygard, Eric Crafton
|Referred:||Public Safety Committee|
|Introduced:||February 15, 2005|
|Deferred to March 15, 2005:||February 15, 2005|
|Adopted:||March 15, 2005|
|Returned Unsigned by Mayor:||March 18, 2005|