RESOLUTION NO. RS2010-1357
A resolution recognizing Nashville Area Habitat for Humanity CEO Chris McCarthy on the occasion of her retirement.
WHEREAS, on December 31, 2010, Community Leader Chris McCarthy retired, having served with distinction for eight and one half years at Nashville Area Habitat for Humanity as president and CEO; and
WHEREAS, Habitat for Humanity is an ecumenical Christian ministry that, with the assistance of thousands of volunteers and generous funding from individuals, corporations, government, faith groups, and others, works in partnership with people in need to build and own quality, affordable homes; and
WHEREAS, Habitat for Humanity of Nashville in its 26-year history, has succeeded in creating and rehabilitating nearly 470 affordable homes, not to mention tithing to fund homes overseas, and has served more than 1,500 family members, including nearly 1,000 children; and
WHEREAS, during her noteworthy career, Chris McCarthy led efforts that resulted in many successes and accomplishments of Nashville Area Habitat for Humanity, including:
• More than 75,000 volunteers have been mobilized locally during her tenure in support of building better lives for families through affordable homeownership
• More than $50,000,000 has been raised from private sources in 8 years in support of building 3 neighborhoods and development of a 4th community of 350+ homes
• The agency’s responsible homeownership education program, HomeWORKS, was started in 2005 and has grown to offer 2,000+ hours of classes to family members per year.
• The Habitat HomeStore retail operation was started in 2004 and has funded the building of 15 homes and diverted 165 metric tons of material from local landfills each year.
• Mortgage delinquency has dropped to single digits from a rate of 44 percent eight years ago, with an all-time low of zero percent in October 2009.
WHEREAS, a native of Nashville, Chris McCarthy is a graduate of Hillsboro High School in Nashville; a graduate of Northern Illinois University with a bachelor’s degree in accounting and of Vanderbilt University Owen Graduate School of Management with a master’s degree in business administration; and
WHEREAS, her work received awards and accolades during her extraordinary career, including: The 2009-2010 national HOPE Award for Leadership, for which she was chosen based on impact, innovation, and contributions to affordable housing and minority acceptance; and
WHEREAS, throughout her career Chris McCarthy demonstrated the utmost professionalism, integrity, and leadership and she has selflessly and generously performed vital work that has touched the lives of thousands of people; and
WHEREAS, it is fitting and proper that the Metropolitan Council recognizes Chris McCarthy for the great service she has given the Nashville community and wish her a happy retirement.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE METROPOLITAN GOVERNMENT OF NASHVILLE AND DAVIDSON COUNTY:
Section 1. The Metropolitan Council hereby goes on record as recognizing Nashville Area Habitat for Humanity CEO Chris McCarthy on the occasion of her retirement.
Section 2. The Metropolitan Council Office is directed to prepare a copy of this Resolution to be presented to Chris McCarthy.
Section 3. This Resolution shall take effect from and after its adoption, the welfare of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County requiring it.
Sponsored by: Charlie Tygard, Greg Adkins, Sean McGuire
|Referred:||Rules & Confirmations Committee|
|Introduced:||September 7, 2010|
|Adopted:||September 7, 2010|
|Approved:||September 7, 2010|