A resolution recognizing Antioch First Baptist Church on its 200th anniversary.

WHEREAS, one such dynamic and historic community of faith is the Antioch First Baptist Church in Antioch, Tennessee, which is celebrating its 200th anniversary on October 10, 2010; and

WHEREAS, Antioch First Baptist Church was founded in 1810, being led in service by the late James Whitsitt, who came from Virginia to begin the ministry in an area that had no identifying name. The first congregation met in a log house near Mill Creek. Within a few years a two story brick building was constructed and was occupied until the Civil War when it was surrendered for use as a hospital and finally occupied by Union forces. A new building was constructed in 1887 with the foundation and framework of that building still serving the church that is located on that site today; and

WHEREAS, throughout its proud history, Antioch First Baptist Church has provided outstanding spiritual leadership and moral guidance to the members of its congregation; the church stands today as a tribute to the dedication and hard work of its members, past and present, who have devoted their time, energy and resources to ensure the church’s continued existence as a house of God; and

WHEREAS, highlights of the church’s long and glorious history are faded with time, we do know that when Antioch Baptist Church began James Madison was President of the United States, our nation had just declared independence from Britain 34 years earlier and our constitution had only been ratified for 22 years. The church continued to occupy the 1887 structure until 1979. The community eventually took on the name of Antioch First Baptist Church and is proudly known today as Antioch. Because of repeated flooding from Mill Creek the Antioch First Baptist congregation chose to relocate to higher ground across from its original site. The basic structure of the current church building was completed in April 1979 with the new sanctuary occupied in May 1997; and

WHEREAS, some of the activities Antioch First Baptist Church has done in the community are reflected in the surrender of the church building for a hospital during the Civil War, the sale of the original site to Lighthouse Baptist Church for establishing a pre-school and Laotian Ministry, as well as, during the “Great Flood” of 2010, glory is given to God for leading the congregation to make their newly refurbished children’s building available for the recently flooded Lighthouse Baptist pre-school ministry. This ministry can occupy this space rent free until a permanent facility is able to be purchased; and

WHEREAS, the church has provided faithful assistance and inspiration to the surrounding community during its 200 years of service as a Christian institution, with an emphasis on benevolence, missions at home and abroad, and biblical teaching and preaching; and

WHEREAS, under the leadership of a Transitional Pastor, a superior pastoral staff, and an exemplary support team, Antioch First Baptist Church continues to be a landmark for worship and service; and

WHEREAS, Antioch First Baptist Church is truly one of the great religious institutions and is a catalyst for positive spiritual change and the members should be appropriately recognized for their service to their fellow man and to the good people of their community; and

WHEREAS, it is fitting and proper that the Metropolitan Council recognize and congratulate the congregation of Antioch First Baptist Church on the occasion of the church’s 200th anniversary, as we offer best wishes for many years of continued success in serving God.


Section 1. The Metropolitan Council hereby goes on record as recognizing Antioch First Baptist Church on its 200th anniversary.

Section 2. The Metropolitan Council Office is directed to prepare a copy of this Resolution to be presented to Judson Hays, Transitional Pastor of Antioch First Baptist Church on behalf on the congregation.

Section 3. This Resolution shall take effect from and after its adoption, the welfare of The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County requiring it.

Sponsored by: Duane Dominy, Robert Duvall


Referred: Rules & Confirmations Committee 
Introduced: November 4, 2010
Adopted: November 4, 2010
Approved: November 5, 2010