Policies Related to Dog Management in Metro Parks
3000.32 Dog Management on Park Property
The Metropolitan Board of Parks and Recreation has
established goals and policies to accommodate recreational opportunities for
dog owners and their pets on municipal park property within the framework of
the Board’s Mission Statement.
All Metro Parks will be “dog friendly” subject to Park Board
rules, regulations, and policies. It is the responsibility of dog owners and
custodians of dogs to ensure that they are in compliance with these conditions
when they visit and enjoy Metro Parks and Greenways with their pets.
- The use of Metro Park property and facilities by dog
owners, custodians of dogs, and their pets will be subject to the Department’s
“core service” conditions that promote safety and quality of recreational
experiences for all Nashville residents and visitors who share park resources.
The intent of related Park Board policies is to make safety the highest
priority in providing dog management on park property. The primary goals of dog
management on park property are:
- Strict compliance with the leash law
- Strict compliance with regulation regarding removal of
- RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR METRO DOG PARKS
- “VISITOR RESPONSIBILITIES” will be posted at all Metro Dog
- Use of the dog park will be at the user’s risk.
- Disposal of dog waste, in the provided trash receptacles,
- Dogs must be wearing current rabies and identification
tags at all times.
- Dogs must be leashed before entering and leaving the
- Dogs that become aggressive must be leashed and removed
from the park immediately. Users are legally responsible for injuries inflicted
by their dog. Metro Parks reserves the right to impose limitations, including
restricting access to the Metro Parks, for any aggressive dog and its handler.
- Park users must have a leash on hand for each dog at all times.
- For safety reasons, children under the age of 10 years
are prohibited from entering the fenced area of the dog park. All minors must
be supervised by an adult.
- The following are not permitted in Metro Dog Parks:
- Any dog that exhibits or has a history of aggressive
- Female dogs in heat
- Puppies under four months of age
- Dogs without handler supervision
- Dog food, human food or glass containers
- Spiked collars
- More than two dogs per handler
- Dog grooming
- The designated use of the Metro Dog Parks will be for individual
dog handlers and their pets. Organized activities and events such as shows,
competitions, pet adoptions, organized training and fundraisers are prohibited.