Are you thinking about running for elected office, but are not sure how to begin? The following information will help you get started:
- Depending on the office you are interested in, review the Qualifications for Elected Offices, provided by the Tennessee Secretary of State - Division of Elections, to determine if you meet all requirements OR
- Review the information on this page
Each candidate must be qualified to hold an office.
Mayor, Vice Mayor, Council Member Requirements
In addition to the basic qualifications set out in T.C.A. § 8-18-101, candidates for the office of Mayor, Vice Mayor, Council Member At Large, or District Council Member must also meet the following requirements outlined in the Metropolitan Government Charter:
Mayor and Vice Mayor
Be at least 30 years of age and a resident of Davidson County Tennessee for at least 3 years.
Council Member At Large
Be at least 25 years of age and a resident of Davidson County Tennessee for at least one year.
District Council Member
Be at least 25 years of age; a resident of Davidson County Tennessee for a least one year; and a district resident for at least 6 months.
School Board Member Requirements
In addition to the basic qualifications set out in T.C.A. § 8-18-101 and the educational requirements outlined in T.C.A. § 49-2-202(a)(4), candidates for the Board of Education must also meet the following requirements set out in the Metropolitan Government Charter:
- Be at least 25 years of age
- Be a resident of Davidson County Tennessee for at least 5 years
- Be a district resident for at least 1 year
- Be a qualified registered voter
- Hold no other elective or appointive public office
Qualifications for other local offices may be found in the Metropolitan Charter and Code.
- Review the Tennessee Secretary of State – Division of Elections Calendar, including significant dates related to the election in which you will be participating.
- Pick up a Nominating Petition at our Main Office, located at 1417 Murfreesboro Pike, our Satellite Office, located at 800 2nd Avenue South (Metro Office Building, 4th Floor), or the office of the State Coordinator of Elections, depending on the office you are seeking.
- Secure signatures and addresses of the required number of registered voters who are eligible to vote to fill the office you seek. Addresses must match the signer’s residence, as shown on their voter registration.
- Return the Nominating Petition by the qualifying deadline. (Refer to Election Calendars)
A candidate must file a Statement of Disclosure of Interests for State and Local Elected Officials with the Tennessee Ethics Commission within thirty (30) days after becoming a qualified candidate.